During the early twentieth century doctors and physicians took care of the medical needs of athletes but towards the latter part of the century Sports Medicine came to be recognized as a separate branch of medicine. Sports medicine is the division of medicine dealing with prevention, diagnosis and treatment of physical injuries of athletes. This discipline of medicine has a comprehensive approach from diagnostics to eventual healing of the injury. Practiced by specially trained medical professionals, Sports Medicine promotes fitness and good health.
Need For Sports Medicine
Sports Medicine provides a systematic and disciplined approach for sustaining fitness including physical exercises and nutrition. Consistent workouts are the prescription for gaining strength, maintaining appropriate weight, keeping in shape and staying active. Proper nutrition is a must for the body to remain fit and active. Sports Medicine Specialists prepare diet charts for the athletes as per their individual requirements and coordinate with the team coaches to make sure the injured athlete is following their directions.
Sports Medicine Specialists are experts in handling sudden injuries, on the field or off the field. They handle these injuries too:
· Muscle Strains and Sprains
· Musculoskeletal Injuries, etc.
· Sports Medicine Specialists are responsible too for creating awareness regarding substance use. Most athletes need to be educated and counseled regarding their drug intake. Certain drugs have severe side effects while others may be prohibited for use. Such issues addressed under the guidance of the Sports medicine Specialist.
The major responsibilities of Sports Medicine Specialists can be summarized as follows:
· Pre-participation physical examination
· Emergency injury assessment and management
· Clinical assessment of the injuries
· Taking care of athletes’ medical needs
· Addressing substance use
· Educating and counseling the athletes on prevention of injuries
· Coordinating with other members of sports medicine team
· Monitoring the athlete in rehabilitation phase, etc.
Sports Medicine plays a crucial role in the recovery of athletes boosting their self confidence to perform at their optimum.
Sports medicine is one of the most effective areas of the medical field and contributes a great deal in maintaining the health of athletes. It involves more than just the diagnosis and treatment of injuries. Sports medicine is very crucial for professional players and athletes. This medical area deals with health issues that arise because of stressful and excessive physical activities as well as injuries and is a major discipline in the medical field. The number of athletes participating in sports activities has increased and this has increased the need of better medical facilities which are focused on sports medicine.
The Field Of Sports Medicine Can Be Categorized Into The Following Main Branches:
- Exercises and workouts: One of the most remarkable aspects of sports medicine is exercising and workouts. Every athlete and sports enthusiast needs to stay fit and active. For this, a well-regulated exercise and workout plan should be effectively planned and implemented. These exercises and workouts build up one’s ability to stay fit.
- Nutrition: Another vital part of sports medicine is nutrition. The nutritional habits of individuals can greatly determine their health. Bad eating habits can make a person liable to suffer from many diseases and harm their productivity as well.
- Injury prevention: Taking essential steps for the prevention of injuries is always better for the athlete. Injury prevention is an important segment of the sports medicine field and is suggested by all the specialist sports physicians. They encourage the athletes to take all the necessary precautions for staying free of injuries. Staying injury-free is essential for a sportsperson to perform with full vigor and consistency.
- Sports psychology: Yet another significant feature of sports medicine is the sports psychology. The competitive nature of sports can cause anxiety among the athletes and they feel an extremely high mental pressure over them to win. This influences their performance and potential. They need appropriate counseling to withstand this anxiety and pressure.
The major areas of specialization of sports medicine include coaching, science of exercise, physical and athletic training and promotion of health and physical fitness. The physical fitness of athletes determines their professional career and therefore, should be given special attention. Sports medicine has substantial methods of treatment, for the person suffering from severe health related issues that arise because of stressful physical activities. The Sports Medicine Field is a challenging occupation that varies from injury prevention to successful treatment and recovery.