Sports Medicine deals with injuries that are sustained during athletic activities. It deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of physical injuries, thus playing a crucial role in boosting the performance of the athletes. Sports Medicine is aimed at maintaining optimal health along with maximizing the performance of the patient/athlete.
The emergence of specially trained Sports Medicine Specialists in this field of medicine has expanded to include the sub-disciplines of biomechanics, exercise physiology, and athletic training.
For the best treatment, it is important for the athletes to get the right sports medicine specialists for their rehabilitation. The points to consider when choosing a Sports Medicine Specialist is their knowledge of diverse sub disciplines, training, experience and of course their ability to nurse the players both physically and psychologically.
The best sports medicine treatment requires a multidisciplinary approach for obtaining optimum results. For example, a rigorous training program may have little impact unless it incorporates a balanced diet, physiological exercises and physical training.
Sports Medicine Specialists that lead a multi-dimensional team of following medical professionals are significantly better at providing complete rehab:
· Athletic Trainer
· Dieticians/Sports Nutritionists
· Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Specialist
· Medical Physicians
· Exercise Physiologist
Sports Medicine Specialists are crucial for the athlete’s performance and career. The assessment and diagnosis of the injury should be followed by a proper rehabilitation program. This is essential in restoring the patient/athlete to a positive frame of mind that they are fully fit and can perform the same way or even better then before the injury.
During the early twentieth century doctors and physicians took care of the medical needs of athletes but towards the latter part of the century Sports Medicine came to be recognized as a separate branch of medicine. Sports medicine is the division of medicine dealing with prevention, diagnosis and treatment of physical injuries of athletes. This discipline of medicine has a comprehensive approach from diagnostics to eventual healing of the injury. Practiced by specially trained medical professionals, Sports Medicine promotes fitness and good health.
Need For Sports Medicine
Sports Medicine provides a systematic and disciplined approach for sustaining fitness including physical exercises and nutrition. Consistent workouts are the prescription for gaining strength, maintaining appropriate weight, keeping in shape and staying active. Proper nutrition is a must for the body to remain fit and active. Sports Medicine Specialists prepare diet charts for the athletes as per their individual requirements and coordinate with the team coaches to make sure the injured athlete is following their directions.
Sports Medicine Specialists are experts in handling sudden injuries, on the field or off the field. They handle these injuries too:
· Muscle Strains and Sprains
· Musculoskeletal Injuries, etc.
· Sports Medicine Specialists are responsible too for creating awareness regarding substance use. Most athletes need to be educated and counseled regarding their drug intake. Certain drugs have severe side effects while others may be prohibited for use. Such issues addressed under the guidance of the Sports medicine Specialist.
The major responsibilities of Sports Medicine Specialists can be summarized as follows:
· Pre-participation physical examination
· Emergency injury assessment and management
· Clinical assessment of the injuries
· Taking care of athletes’ medical needs
· Addressing substance use
· Educating and counseling the athletes on prevention of injuries
· Coordinating with other members of sports medicine team
· Monitoring the athlete in rehabilitation phase, etc.
Sports Medicine plays a crucial role in the recovery of athletes boosting their self confidence to perform at their optimum.
Sports Medicine Specialists
Sports Medicine Specialists are medical professionals that lead a team comprising of specialty physicians, surgeons, physical therapists, athletic trainers, coaches and athletes. Essentially, they are physicians with additional training and expertise in sports medicine, pediatrics, physical medicine and rehabilitation. Additionally, they may be members of sports medicine societies that keep them up to date in their field.
Roles & Responsibilities Of Sports Medicine Specialists
Sports Medicine Specialists, while serving as team physicians, play an extremely important role and are instrumental in getting the best out of an athlete. Only a physically fit sportsperson can carry the confidence to perform at their best, and as such the responsibility of the Sports Medicine Specialists is two-fold; to nurture the player physically as well as psychologically. The major roles and responsibilities of Sports Medicine Specialists can be summed up as follows:
· It’s the responsibility of the Sports Medicine Specialist to conduct a thorough pre-participation physical examination.
· When an injury is diagnosed, the Sports Medicine Specialist assesses its severity and provides a course of action for its healing.
· Sports Medicine Specialists stay in continuous communication with the athletes to keep track of their progress.
· It’s the responsibility of a Sports Medicine Specialist to create awareness regarding the use of supplements and drugs among their patient/athletes.
· A balanced diet, injury prevention, counseling and educating the players about health related issues are the goals of the Sports Medicine Specialist.
Sports Medicine Specialists are additionally trained to deal with non-musculoskeletal aspects of sports. Few examples can be listed as follows:
· Mild traumatic injuries
· Conditioning and strength training
· Promotion of healthy lifestyle, etc.
Thus, Sports Medicine Specialists play a significant role in boosting the performance of an athlete. Proper healing and rehabilitation efforts by Sports Medicine Specialist can extend an athlete’s career by one or two year, a real bonus for most of the players who already have short career spans. Often players tend to neglect minor injuries, which may have terrible consequences to their careers. Players should seek medical attention when they feel a slight but persistent annoyance or discomfort and seek the help of a trained Sports Medicine Specialist.
Finding and approaching a well-qualified, experienced and reliable specialist is the most significant step for the treatment and recovery of an injured sportsperson. With the increased number of sports activities in today’s world, there is a growing number of Sports Injury Cases. People who are involved in different physical and athletic activities are prone to injuries and they need specialized treatment for fast recovery. Specialized Health Related Services are essential for the sportspersons and the people, who are actively involved in physical activities.
Useful Suggestions For Finding The Right Sports Medicine Provider Are Mentioned Below:
- The location of the Sports Medicine Provider is an important factor. Long distance traveling in order to get treated for a chronic joint pain or any similar health condition may prove to be difficult. Traveling long distances to see the doctor may increase the chances of appointments being cancelled or rescheduled, making the treatment process less effective.
- Your insurance plan is yet another vital factor. To avoid the payment issues for Sports Injury Treatment or any ailment related to strenuous physical activity, you must ensure that your insurance plan covers these conditions as well. Some insurance plans may cover the entire expenditure of treatment while the other plans may include the expenditure of just primary level treatment. Therefore, the insurance plans should be checked before going to a sports medicine provider.
- The Sports Medicine Providers should possess special certification. Such certifications prove their credibility and proficiency. Moreover, the sports medicine providers should be well acquainted with the basic aspects of personal health, sports nutrition etc.
- Before you choose a sports medicine specialist make sure they are qualified to perform the treatments you need.
- Finally, get recommendations from friends and other sports persons and find current testimonials to make your decision.
By considering these crucial points, a person suffering from sports injuries can get the best treatment for his/her health related issues. Choosing the right sports medicine service provider is essential to ensure proper recovery.
Sports injuries are very common. The increasing number of sports activities has led to a rise in the number of injuries. Special medicinal facilities are essential for the proper treatment and recovery of people who are injured during sports activities. Consulting an experienced medical specialist is essential to ensure that proper f recovery from a sports injury. Choosing the right Sports Medicine Specialist for treatment is imperative.
Some Major Points To Be Considered Before Making An Appointment With A Sports Medicine Specialist Are:
- The professional qualification of the doctor is the biggest consideration. This is the basic factor, ensuring the credibility of the sports medicine specialist. Moreover, the background and the past record of the specialist should be investigated properly before approaching him/her.
- Experience is another vital factor, determining the skills of the sports medicine specialist. More experienced the doctor; more reliable is his/her service.
- One must check if the sports medicine specialist has any additional qualification/certificate in medicine. The specialists having more professional certifications have additional knowledge, and they are more proficient in providing treatment.
- Different sports medicine specialists have specialization in different medicinal sectors. It is advisable that one goes to the right specialist for the particular injury.
- When consulting a sports medicine specialist, the patient should enquire about his or her knowledge and familiarity with the lifestyle of a sportsperson. Make sure the Specialist is aware of your general routine, diet and trainings techniques.
- Getting assistance of a personal trainer, claiming to know all about sports injuries, is not a good decision. Only a certified doctor of sports medicine should be approached for treatment.
Sports injuries differ from one another depending on the nature of sport. Critical sports injuries can ruin the health of a sportsperson. Each injury should be properly treated so it does not effect the entire career of the sportsperson. Make sure you have chosen the right Sports Medicine Specialist and consult a specialist who knows about treating your injury.
Sports Medicine is a special division of Health Care Sector, which takes care of physical fitness and injuries associated with sports & exercise. Sports Medicine Companies provide effective treatments against the musculoskeletal issues. The concept of Sports Medicine is not very old. It began in the late 20s. However, Sports Medicine has become an important sector itself. Sports Medicine comprises several forms of non-surgical orthopedic treatments.
Which Professionals are in Sports Medicine Sector?
Sports Medicine Professionals have specialization in Exercise and Sports Science. The professionals in the field of Sports Medicine are designated as following:
· Medical Doctors
· Physical Therapists
· Physical Therapists Assistants
· Athletic Trainers
· Massage Therapists
The Role of Sports Medicine Physicians:
Sports Medicine Physicians are the experts who get specialized training for a certain period in the field of sports medicine. Their expertise lies in dealing with injuries associated with sports as well as exercises. They mainly focus on diagnosis and treatment of injuries, which take place during a sport or some physical activity. In brief, the Sports Medicine Physicians have to take care of different types of orthopedic cases.
What Are The Sports Medicine Services Inclusive Of?
Sports Medicine Services are intended to bring the injured person into the best of health so that he/she can get back to his or her usual activities. The Sports Medicine Services primarily focus on:
· PRP (platelet rich plasma)
· Injury Prevention
· Injury Management
· Viscol supplementation
Is Sports Medicine Restricted To The Athletes Only?
Irrespective of what the name implies, Sports Medicine is not restricted to the athletic field only. The division comprises the treatment of injuries that occur due to any sort of physical activity, which may or may not be associated with sports. The injuries may be the subsequent result of overuse, sudden collision, over-exertion, or over-extension of the muscles of the joints. Sports Medicine is a practice that treats all sorts of musculoskeletal injuries.
Regardless of being a new concept, Sports Medicine has emerged as an independent branch in health care. One can easily browse the Internet to reach a reliable Sports Medicine Company.